Sunday, October 07, 2007

ATLAS SHRUGGED 50th Anniversary

I was at the biggest, greatest birthday party I ever attended in Washington, D.C. all day yesterday. It was the 50th anniversary of Ayn Rand's literary and philosophical masterpiece, Atlas Shrugged, and put together by The Atlas Society. While Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead is my favorite novel, her Atlas Shrugged is the Greatest novel I've ever read. I make this distinction because saying that they're Both my favorite novels doesn't work. I really don't know how to put it all in words how I felt yesterday, so I'll just say that it was as great a day as I expected it to be considering the matchless achievement that is Atlas Shrugged.


Anonymous said...

Bosch, I agree with you. Even by our high expectations, this event was amazing.

I very much enjoyed meeting you, and I hope we have the opportunity to spend more time together in the very near future.

--Robert Bidinotto

Bosch Fawstin said...

It was Great meeting you, and Great to see you here, I appreciate the words and I'm really looking forward to meeting and talking again. What a celebration it was, just beautiful.

Robert Jones said...

Glad you enjoyed yourself. Glad you finally met with Bidinotto. He's a longtime friend o mine.

Coincidence: The Fountainhead is my favorite novel.

However, my Greatest novel ever is Mark Twain's The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Atlas Shrugged is a close second.


Bosch Fawstin said...

Robert Jones,

Great to see you here, it really was a day to remember, surrounded by like-minded, liberty loving individualists, as close to Galt's Gulch as I've ever been.

Bosch Fawstin said...

Robert Jones,

I have to read Twain, I somehow bypassed what I gather to be the given among readers.

And The Fountainhead, what can I say about it besides the fact that its ideas were a much needed anchor to reality when I was younger. It confirmed so many things for me, it opened up a whole new world that I wanted to be part of. A new way of looking at life and work. A powerhouse of a book, hits hard on every level. And you Really get out of it what you bring to it as an individual. The characters are far more complex than Rand is given credit for. And Wynand, what a character, as tragic a literary figure as one can experience. And Roark doesn't change as much as he changes all those around him. He just becomes more himself as the book continues.