Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Star Wars Reborn?

Disney just bought Lucasfilm for over 4 billion dollars and they're planning to release a new Star Wars movie in 2015, episode 7, taking place after Return of the Jedi. I Loved Star Wars as a kid, and really looked forward to The Phantom Menace. And then I saw it. I was shocked at how bad it was, so shocked I was in denial for a little while about it. And that's All on George Lucas, who clearly created it out of some kind of obligation, not out of any passion, which was clearly absent in all three prequels. But he won't be involved with the films now, at least in any significant way, as there'll be new writers and directors to take his once great mythology and hopefully remind us why it was great in the first place. I'm looking forward to it. Above is a gouache painting I did in the mid 90's after word hit that Lucas was going to be working on the prequels. It's my take on Anakin Skywalker's inevitable fall to the dark side, while he battles in both good & evil light-sabers. Now, I have to mention that I sent this and two more of my Star Wars drawings to Lucasfilm at the time in order to get some work, and never heard back. Also, I never saw a Jedi wielding two light-sabers before, and I thought it was a good way to show his conflict, but then a few years later, we see Anakin in Episode Two wielding a green and blue light-saber while battling Count Dooku. Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not, but I do like how my interpretation of how Anakin might have looked as a young Jedi resembled the look of the actor in the film a few years later. 

No comments: