Saturday, October 11, 2014

Bill Maher is Mainstreaming Criticism of Islam

I wrote this note on Facebook:

Bill Maher is Mainstreaming Criticism of Islam. (see here, here & here and he's continuing week after week on his show, Real Time on HBO) That is Incredibly important during a time when Muslims are on the warpath. Especially during a time when they're on the warpath in a nuclear age running over gutless Western "leaders" who are supposed to protect us. Yet there are those- usually those who've Never spoken as honestly about Islam as Maher has- who dismiss the importance of it because it's coming from him. I can't stand Maher myself outside of his criticism of Islam, (see my older cartoons of him) but his stand on this issue overrides all of his own bs. He Gets it, about one of the most important issues of our time, and tells a truth that he no Doubt gets death threats over, and that's to be applauded. And I think those who've done all they can to get the truth about Islam out there appreciate it. I know I sure as hell do. So it's fitting that those on the right who haven't bothered to learn about Islam in these many years since 9/11/01 are quick to dismiss him. I even hear Mark Levin dismiss him. Levin began to ask questions about Islam as such Only after the beheading of Colleen Hufford, but he's cooled off since the story has. I heard Levin this past week say something angrily dismissive in response to the many video links he got about Maher taking on Islam, "Good! He's finally talking about the Islamonazis!". No. Maher Never uses the misnomer "Islamonazis". That word does nothing but make Levin feel like he's saying something strong. If he knew Islam, he'd simply call them what they are, Jihadists. That's condemnatory enough. I've only heard Maher use proper terms such as Islam, Jihad, Sharia Law, Muslims, etc. The simple truth damns Islam. So critics of Maher's should try speaking the truth about Islam one day, but only after they've done their homework on it, like Maher has.


5 comments:

I.M Fletcher said...

I agree. I normally can't stand Maher, but he has it right-on with this.

Yocheved Menashe, B.A.A.S., M.A. said...

Hi Bosch: I fully agree that Islamonazi is a bad term. I'm not a big fan of Levin, I can't quite put my finger on the why though, likely because I don't pay too much attention to him and can't be bothered.

Yo

I.M Fletcher said...

Lawrence O'Donnell gives Sam Harris more of a chance to respond in a longer interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo7z2Ml2tI0

Harris is another person (like Maher himself) that i don't like a lot of the time, but he is spot on with what he says about Islam in the interview.

"The problem is - and I'm not denying that some people repudiate it, and millions of Muslims are horrified - the problem is, ISIS is behaving in a way that is sanctioned by a literal reading of the Koran and the Hadith: you can take sex slaves from among the infidels, you should cut the infidels' heads off. This is a plausible version of the faith."

Bosch Fawstin said...

I saw that, and yes, outside of their criticism of Islam, I have very little interest in either. They're too wrong about too many other important things outside of that.

hellosnackbar said...

Maher seems these days to voice empirical common sense!