Sunday, December 20, 2015

Interview with The Free Press Society & My Mohammad Christmas Card

UPDATE: I requested permission to post my interview, originally published in Danish, in English here on my blog. You can read it below, and leave your thoughts.

I just did an interview with The Free Press Society. It's written in Danish, and if you're interested in reading it, Google Translate should do it. I designed a Christmas card for the organization, joining a couple of the Danish Mohammad cartoonists who've done earlier ones.

You have a Muslim background. Why did you leave Islam?

I left Islam when I began to take the idea of morality seriously. I was exposed enough to the religion to make me ashamed to remain a part of it, especially being raised in America, a country whose values are antithetical to Islamic values. Even though my family would be referred to as "Moderate Muslims" today (we simply called ourselves Muslim) the immoderate misogyny and Jew-hatred that's inherent in the religion was a part of my upbringing, and I wanted no part of it.

You have been drawing Muhammed for years. When did you start drawing Muhammed?

I first drew Mohammad after the Danish Mohammad cartoonists were threatened with death over them. I never set out to draw Mohammad, but when fellow Westerners are targeted for drawing the founder of the religion that animates the war being waged on the West, well, drawing Mohammad cartoons is the least I could do to show my support for them, for Freedom of Expression and to show the enemy that they have no power over us. 

Are you anti Muslim?

"Anti-Muslim" is what critics of Islam always get accused of being, because people want to equate legitimate criticism of Islam with a hatred for all those who identify themselves as Muslim. I am a critic of Islam and its most consistent practitioners, not of "All Muslims", since most Muslims ignore Islam in the way they live their lives, especially those living in the West. But I do question those who steadfastly remain a part of a religion that inspires the most unspeakable atrocities, regardless of the lies they tell themselves about it. So while I recognize that many Muslims aren't at war with us, I also recognize that they're not on our side either. So Muslims, in not making a clear choice to side with the West against Jihad, are giving ammunition to those who don't bother to make distinctions between Islam and Muslims, and therefore condemn all Muslims, devout or not. But regardless, Muslims at large have done very little to make those who are "anti-Muslim" to change their minds, which is why their reputation is in the toilet.  

At the moment fear and self censorship is prevailing. In Denmark no newspapers dare printing the Danish Mohammad cartoons anymore. Do you think this will change in the future?

I hope so, but right now it's popular to blame Mohammad cartoons for Islamic violence, when it's actually Islamic violence that inspires Mohammad cartoons. What I do know is that I will continue to draw Mohammad cartoons (I've drawn six new Mohammad cartoons since winning the contest) and publish them on the Internet. 

I know you have received threats. Have you ever considered stopping drawing Muhammed?

No. While it's not a joy to draw something that brings death threats, it's the death threats that will have to stop before I ever consider stopping drawing Mohammad. 

(And then they did a follow up, asking me about my Mohammad Christmas card design and my thoughts on Christmas)

About my Christmas card design, since I was drawing it for The Free Press Society, I figured drawing a new Mohammad cartoon was essential, considering that drawing Mohammad is the best way one can show one's support for Freedom of Expression in the world today. And no matter what goes on in the world, and in my personal world, I Love Christmas, and I love wishing all men and women of good will a very Merry Christmas. (As for men and women of bad will, they can go to Hellistan). I repeat, Merry Christmas to All Men and Women of Good Will. 


zoloftea said...

Thank you for your pithy comments online. You distill common sense and make it easy to understand your views. I admire that you do not allow PC-ness to shut you up.

Bosch Fawstin said...

Thank you very much

I.M Fletcher said...

Well said. I also do not have any antipathy towards Muslims per se, but I think there is a problem when the founder of your religion was so violent. Mohammed is really Terrorist Prime, the first "Islamic extremist", and groups like ISIS are only emulating him. He is supposed to be the perfect example to follow.

He said of himself, "I have been made victorious through terror". (Bukhari 4.52.220)

What other evidence do we need?